Writing in the daily political blog the Pennsylvania Capital-Star earlier this week, Pennsylvania First Lady France Wolf encouraged people to volunteer to help those in need if they are able, all while taking proper safety precautions.
She recommended reaching out to local organizations directly, or visiting PA211 or ServPa to connect with agencies and inquire about their needs. These opportunities include county aging offices and food banks. Here in Lancaster, you can visit the volunteer page of the United Way of Lancaster County to sign up to volunteer.
Area charities are also sorely in need of financial support, so consider donating to a charity of your choice, too.
The precautions Mrs. Wolf advises include:
- Wearing a mask when you leave your home
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow
- Keep 6 feet away from others
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer
- Self-screen for COVID-19 symptoms