Lancaster County School Meals Round Up April 27, 2020
Schools may now serve free meals to all children 18 and under. The Pennsylvania Department of Education on Monday sent a letter to every school district in Pennsylvania announcing that the federal government has given PA flexibility in designating “open sites.” This would allow school districts to immediately begin serving free meals to all children 18 and under in the community.
Normally, to qualify for universal free meals, a district must operate in a low income area defined by building or census data that demonstrates 50 percent or more of the students in the attendance area are eligible for free or reduced price meals. Since these economic determinant tools were established prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and do not reflect current local economic situations, PDE asked for and received approval to utilize recent and local level determinants for approving area eligibility, such as local unemployment claims data and justification of local needs (loss of jobs, business closures, etc.). All districts that did not already qualify must file an exception as more fully detailed on the PDE website.
Here are the school meal availabilities for each of Lancaster’s 16 school districts:
Distributing free meals on weekdays starting on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursday from 11 am to 1 pm. Two lunches and two breakfasts will be given on Tuesdays and Thursdays. No sign up required. All children 18 and under are eligible. Drive-through or walk up available at the back of each of the following buildings (look for Act of Love signs):
Adamstown Elementary | 256 West Main Street
Denver Elementary | 700 South 4th Street
Reamstown Elementary | 44 South Reamstown Road
Contact Mr. Chris Dunn at email@example.com for more information.
Columbia School District
Providing Grab and Go Breakfast and Lunch Monday thru Friday from 9:45 am to 11 am at Park Elementary and Taylor Middle schools. Anyone under the age of 18 may participate.
- Grab and go meals for students will be available for pick-up on Monday April 6 and Wednesday, April 8
- Due to the scheduled spring break, there will be no meals served on Friday, April 10 or Monday, April 13
- Meals will be available for pick up on Tuesday, April 14 and Thursday, April 16.
- Locations: Bridgeport Plaza (1643 Lincoln Highway East, in the parking lot between the Wells Fargo Bank and Alice’s Diner); Leola Elementary on the parking lot side of the building; and CV High School. If meals run out and you do not see a member of CV Food Services at the Bridgeport/Leola site before 1 p.m., please go to the high school for pickup. Time: 11:30 am-1:30 pm
- Families must show a student ID for each meal. To help keep the line moving, please hold up CV student IDs and signs to the car window in order to indicate how many students need meals as you pull up to the pickup location.
- Meals are available on weekdays to ALL kids age 18 or younger.
- Locations: Until Friday April 10, at the Janus School in Mount Joy and Donegal Intermediate School.
- As of Monday, April 13, meal distribution will change from the Janus School to Donegal High School and Donegal Intermediate School.
- Time: 11am-1pm
- Free drive-thru grab & go meals for ALL kids ages 1-18, regardless of which school they attend or if they’re on the meal program
- Tuesdays (five breakfasts and five lunches will be provided for each student)
- Garden Spot High School: 669 East Main Street, New Holland. Enter from Tower Road, take immediate right to loop around the front of the school
- Time: 11 AM -1 PM
- If children are not present, person picking up food will have to provide names in writing of students for whom they are picking up
- Contact the Director of Food Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Additional food resources for area families:
127 W Franklin Street
Currently offering Food Pantry with a drive thru/ walk thru pick-up at scheduled times. Families and individuals can access once a month. Bags contain about a week’s worth of groceries. Call to sign up for Food Pantry on Mondays at 717-355-2454.
- Power Pack Project for families is offered once a week on Wednesday afternoons with a drive thru/ walk thru style pick up. To sign up, please call 717-355-2454.
Elizabethtown Area School District
The Elizabethtown Area School District is part of a three-pronged, community-wide effort to support families experiencing food insecurity during the mandatory school closing that includes the District, Community Cupboard of Elizabethtown, and local ministerium.
- Elizabethtown Area School District:
The District will continue to run our Bear Bags program each Friday from noon to 1 pm in the high school bus loop. Please contact Jennifer Fields to register at email@example.com . This program will run through the end of the school year
- Community Cupboard of Elizabethtown:
The Community Cupboard of Elizabethtown is a food choice pantry that assists residents living in our school district. For food assistance, contact the Cupboard by phone at (717) 361-8149 or by email at EtownCupboard@gmail.com.
Daily bagged lunches are available for all students on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the following churches (two lunches per child are provided each of these days): (a) Elizabethtown Church of God, 144 South Market Street, Elizabethtown; (b) Hope Community Church, 1806 Harrisburg Avenue, Mt. Joy; (c) Bainbridge Church of God, 7 North Second Street, Bainbridge.
- Elizabethtown Church of God “Food from the King” distributes food on Sundays from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. No registration required.
- Elizabethtown Church of God provides a take out meal on Wednesdays at 6:00 pm. No registration required.
- First Church of God, 144 S Market St, Elizabethtown, PA 17022. Food distribution on Sundays from 4:30-5:30, drive-up. No registration required. Weekly meal Wednesdays at 6:00pm, serving takeout during this time. No registration required.
Providing free meals for all children ages 18 and under. Meals will be available to “grab-and-go” at Ephrata High School, Fulton and Clay Elementary Schools. Multiple meals will be provided to cover weekday breakfast and lunches. Students DO NOT have to be present for meals to be picked up.
In order ensure proper food preparation, please take a moment to complete this short questionnaire, if you plan to pick up a meal.
DATES: Every Tuesday and Thursday
TIME: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Ephrata High School: Enter auditorium parking lot from Old Mill Road. Pick-up will be by the courtyard entrance.
- Fulton Elementary School: Enter rear parking lot and use the drop-off/pick-up loop.
- Clay Elementary School: Pull up to the front entrance.
Directional signs will be posted at all locations.
Please contact the District Food Services Department with any questions at 717-721-1400, extension 11302
Students eligible for free/reduced lunch are being provided with bagged breakfasts and lunches during the school closure. Eligible parents should contact their child’s school office if they did not receive a call.
- Location: Manheim Central High School cafeteria
- Time: 7am-1pm
- Weekdays March 17-27
- Locations: Bucher and Schaeffer Elementary Schools
- Time: 11:30am-12:30pm
All Octorara Area School District students age 18 and under (regardless of the municipality the student lives in) are eligible for Grab and Go meals that include one breakfast and one lunch offering per day.
Meals are distributed on Monday and Wednesday only at the three sites listed below.
Monday’s distribution will include two breakfasts and two lunches.
Wednesday’s distribution will include three breakfasts and three lunches.
Families will not be able to congregate at any distribution point. All meals must be consumed off-site.
- Parkesburg Point – 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- Glenbrook Apartments, Atglen – 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Saddler Drive, Christiana – 12:15 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Distributing free, bagged meals to students using the students’ morning bus stop locations. The meals will be delivered by school buses.
Families will receive lunches and breakfasts for two days every Monday and for three days every Wednesday. At all locations, students need not be present for a family member to pick up their meal bag, and family members may pick up meal bags for all members of their household who attend Penn Manor schools from a single location/stop.
For elementary students, meals will be delivered by buses at students’ regular bus stops at times that roughly correspond with their regular school pickup times.
Meals for high school and Marticville and Manor middle school students will be delivered each morning to their regular bus stops, but the drop-off times are not the same as their morning school pickup times.
Please see the dropoff schedules for those schools here:
For students who walk to Penn Manor High School or Eshelman Elementary School, meals may be picked up from 8 am to 9 am each morning at Eshelman Elementary.
Pequea Valley School District
Pequea Valley School District is using The Factory Ministries as a distribution center for lunches. If you need a lunch, please feel free to stop by and pick up Tuesday between the hours of 10:00 AM to 12 Noon and Thursdays between the hours of 6:00 PM and 8:00 PM. You will have the opportunity to pick up lunches for multiple days during these time slots. If you need a lunch distributed to an alternate location, please call Gavin Scalyer, Director of Food Services, at 717-768-5513.
at the Together Community Center
3293 Lincoln Highway East
Paradise, PA 17562
School District of Lancaster
Free meals to all children 18 and under are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon at JP McCaskey, Hamilton, Hand, Reynolds, and Carter & McRae. Power Packs will also be available for pickup (registration required: English / Spanish) at this time. Students/parents are instructed to go to the building closest to their house.
- The food distribution program will continue Monday through Thursday this week, April 6-9. Bags of food will be available for pickup.
- Location: Solanco High School
- Time: 9-11am
- They are asking families to do their best to adhere to the following schedule to help minimize traffic and congestion:
- 9:00 – 9:40 a.m. – students in kindergarten through 3rd grade
- 9:40 – 10:20 a.m. students in grades 4-8
- 10:20 – 11:00 a.m. students in grades 9-12
- If you are unable to come during your allotted slot, you will be served during the other time slots.
Warwick School District is providing free breakfast and lunches for all students ages 5-21 on a weekly basis. Parents/guardians can pick up the weekly meals on Mondays via a drive-thru/walk-thru station between the hours of 11 AM and 1 PM, at either Lititz Elementary School or Warwick Middle School. In order for the District to plan for these meals, please RSVP between Tuesday AM and Sunday PM to reserve the weekly meals. Indicate your meal reservation under the desired location for drive-up/pick up. Please check your meals bags upon pick-up for any preparation instructions.
- Beginning Wednesday (3/18), meals will be available at Lititz Elementary and Warwick Middle School for ANY Warwick student between the ages of 5 and 21.
- Students must be present during time of pick up.
- FILL OUT THIS FORM TO SIGN UP TO RECEIVE A MEAL THE FOLLOWING DAY.
- They ask that you follow this same format each day: sign up between 12:00pm-11pm on the day before you will pick up meals for your students.
- Anchorage Breakfast (29 E. Walnut St.) is offering a daily carry-out breakfast between 8:30 – 9:45 a.m.
- Arch Street Center (629 N. Market St.) will provide carry-out meals starting Wednesday, March 18 at noon.
- The Moravian Center of Lancaster (227 N. Queen St.) will be accepting donations of brown bag meals to stand in the gap (include a protein source, some kind of fruit, a pack of crackers or other snack item, a drink, and a napkin along with any other non-perishable food items that you feel called to include. Drop off bags Monday-Friday between 9am-1pm. (And push the black doorbell!) Or call (717-397) 9722 to arrange an alternate drop-off time.
- Elizabethtown area’s nearby resources for food-insecure families
- Families who live in the Warwick School District and who are in need of food are encouraged to call the Warwick Community Chest hotline 717-627-0770.
- In a press release, the Crispus Attucks Community Center announced that they are providing free grab and go lunches on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am-12pm. Their dine-in option is currently suspended.